Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Kitchen(ette) Woes

Image from My Life as a Mrs.


I would love nothing more than to take credit for the above picture. 

In case you're wondering what it is, it's sweet potato crusted fish with cilantro lime vinaigrette. I know... ridiculous, right? Just look at that delightfully colorful beauty of a meal! 
Unfortunately, this is not my creation. This is from the culinary mind of Tina at My Life as a Mrs. Check out her blog! She is a genius in the kitchen, and bonus! She posts her recipes (with pictures!) Score. 

 Tina can not take credit for the mess I made in the kitchen tonight, trying to re-create her dish. That was allllllllll me. Unfortunately. 

I'm not exactly working in ideal conditions in the ol' hotel kitchenette. The equipment is limited, as are utensils and ingredients. I was destined to fail from the beginning. 

At least that's what I'm telling myself. 

Anyway, after a failed attempt to try my hand at cooking tonight, I was about to throw in the towel when I remembered... we have a quesadilla maker now! 

Best. Invention. Ever.

Oh yeah. Remember our little adventure the other night? Turns out, had we just driven up the road to the Target in Vista, they had not one, not two, but FIVE quesadilla makers on the shelves. What are the odds? 

I decided to experiment a little (in an effort to redeem myself and act like I had a "Plan B" all along) and use some of the leftover shredded sweet potatoes in a quesadilla combined with some black beans, jalapenos, Monterrey Jack and cheddar cheese.

That was the second best idea I had all night, aside from tossing the sweet potato fish mess. 

Oh yeah.

Best served with sour cream... and beer.

Look at that little plate of perfectly cooked 'dillas (thanks, Q-maker!) If anyone likes sweet potatoes as much as myself (which is a LOT, btw) I would highly recommend you trying this little recipe concoction. Would I lead you astray? Not when it's food-related!


I never joke about food. 


Here's what I did. 

----------
Ingredients
Tortillas
Shredded Sweet Potato (about 1/2 cup)
Jalepenos
Black Beans, rinsed and drained (about 1/3 cup)
Monterey Jack and cheddar cheese blend (or whichever your preference!)

Start by cooking the sweet potato (hash brown style) in a small skillet, coated with non-stick cooking spray. Make sure the bottom is nice and crispy before flipping, and let the other side get a good crisp on it as well. Using a spatula, lightly break up the hash brown. Remove from heat.

Heat a separate, midsized skillet on medium heat. Lightly butter one side tortillas, and place one tortilla butter side down on the skillet. Spoon beans, jalapenos, cheeses, and hash brown pieces on top, and cover with additional tortilla (butter side up). 

 Let cook for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until cheese starts to melt and underside of tortilla is golden brown. Gently flip quesadilla, taking care that filling does not spill out from the sides. Let the opposite side cook until golden brown, and carefully use spatula to remove from skillet. Cut into triangles and enjoy with a dollop of sour cream. Yum!

----------

For the record, I fully intend to try the sweet potato crusted fish with cilantro lime vinaigrette once we get moved in to a real kitchen where I have the use of real utensils and not makeshift skillets and fitted lids. 

I know... excuses, excuses :) 

G'night!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!