Thursday, July 21, 2011

Pioneering It.

 No, I am not talking about the beloved Pioneer Woman.

Although she is one of my culinary heros, and I would love to share a margarita or two with her, this post is sadly not dedicated to her wonderful endeavors in the kitchen.

Spencer and I are living like modern-day pioneers around here. We are DVR-less, Bravo-less, and oven-less. How ever are we surviving?
With no DVR to record our favorite shows, we are living like it's 2007 around here. We have to actually plan to sit down and watch a program. Unbelievable. Furthermore, even if we did have the blessed ability to record any and everything we wanted, we are still without Bravo. Some of my favorite Housewives (including those just upstate from me!) are out there throwing drinks, tables, and other profanities around and I am left out in the cold world without a clue as to how the Manzo's, Laurita's, Giudice's, or the Gorga's are doing post-family disaster. (I am talking about the Real Housewives of New Jersey here, for those of you who need to "get with the program".)

Let's be honest, I am being dramatic. Kind of.
It's funny how the entire time I lived in Austin, I only baked cupcakes two times. Now that I am completely without an oven, it is all I have been thinking of. Therefore, I had to get creative.

I had to make a cake... in a mug... in the microwave.
Spoiler Alert: It was delicious!
Double Spoiler Alert: It was healthy! (kind of)


You heard it here first. 

Yeah, yeah... I know I said I would keep the food blogging to a minimum. My apologies.  


This delightful, little 3-ingredient 'Cake in a Cup' was moist and delicious and low on the calorie count. See for yourself!


Cake in Cup

The cast of characters.


You will need:
 Boxed Cake Mix (any flavor)
No-Sugar Added Applesauce
Frosting (any flavor)
No-Stick Cooking Spray

Step 1: Spray the inside of a coffee cup with the cooking spray, and measure four tablespoons of the cake mix.


Step 2: Next, add two tablespoons of the applesauce.




Step 3: Using a fork, combine the cake mix and applesauce until just moistened.


Step 4: Microwave on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes.


Step 5: Remove from microwave and let cool.

Step 6: Don't be afraid of the way it looks.
This part is crucial... you just have to trust me.



Step 7: After cooling, dollop a bit of frosting on top and enjoy!

If you want to be really good, you can replace the frosting with a dollop of Cool-Whip, Redi-Whip, or even a dusting of powdered sugar. 

Or you can be like me and add a dollop of cream cheese frosting. Welcome to the dark side.

This little bad boy is really yummy and really easy to make. Try it sometime! You won't be sorry.


Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Saskia said...

omg..that looks delicious! i'm going to have to try it!...it would be a perfect afternoon snack :) i hope you guys have an awesome weekend!

afairlie said...

Sas, you'll love it! Even Spencer likes it, and he was a skeptic :) Hope you have a great weekend, too!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!