Monday, August 29, 2011

My Cup... or Yours?

I think I could literally make a new “Awkward and Awesome: Work Edition” blog post every week regarding the shenanigans that go on at my job. Lately, the awkward has been outshining the awesome.
 I am fairly positive that it’s almost always me who makes it awkward, knowingly or unknowingly. I am brought back to my freshman year of high school, when one of my classmates in speech gave me an “interesting” (for lack of a better term) nickname. We had an icebreaker where others were supposed to use adjectives to describe you, beginning with the first letter of your name. I thought for sure I was going to come out with “Awesome Adrienne” or “Amazing Adrienne”, or something equally as glorified. 
Instead, I was coined by one guy in my class as, guess what?
 “Annoying Adrienne”
 The nerve of this kid! It’s only in my later years that I have discovered maybe I am my own social worst-enemy. I think this kid was on to something… 
Anyway I think my co-workers may actually view me as “Awkward Adrienne”, hence the reason the awesome has been dulled as of late. To further exacerbate my point, I give you… 
The Great Coffee Cup Debacle 
Every morning, I arrive at work approximately 10 minutes before anyone else gets here. (I’m still in the “but-I-want-to-make-a-good-impression” stage. It usually lasts a couple of months before it’s retired for the “screw-it-I’m-going-to-sleep-in-longer” stage). I use this time to check my e-mails, get organized for the day, and get a head start on whatever task I am supposed to be doing. Shortly after that, the office manager arrives and makes a big pot of cinnamon flavored coffee. Since there are only two or three of us there before 8:30 AM, I get first dibs on it.
This morning I opened the cupboard to find the fresh, Monday morning supply of clean coffee cups. I reached for a tall, brown mug and poured myself a cup. It wasn’t until much later in the day (about 30 minutes before closing time) did I find out this was evidentially a huuuuuuge mistake.

Apparently, this mug belonged to one of the owners. It is her own personal mug, and should not be used by any other employee. Fortunately, I saved myself the embarrassment of being called out on this in public when one of the other women pulled me into the kitchen and gave me the scoop. “You wouldn’t know this, of course” she said, “but she [the boss] is a creature of habit, and therefore uses the same coffee mug every day. Please don't be embarrassed. It's nothing to feel bad about. I would just make sure to not make the same mistake again." 
I quickly retrieved the coffee cup from the dishwasher, washed it by hand, and returned it to the cupboard. I am sure she noticed I was using it today, but hopefully will be delighted to find it back it its proper location in the tomorrow.  
Coffee Cup: 1
Awkward Adrienne: 0
 After returning to my desk and thankful that someone was looking out for me, 
I just had to go back and snap a picture of the elusive coffee cup. After all of the fuss, you would think it would be rimmed in 24 karat gold or at the very least studded with tiny crystals and gemstones.

It wasn’t.

It was brown. And tall.

If it were a classic children’s novel, it would be called “Coffee Mug, Plain and Tall.”

This is it.


 That’s all for me, folks. Just keeping it weird!

Disclaimer: For the sake of the kid in my freshman speech class, he was only kidding and no, the hard earned dollars that are generated toward public education do not condone this type of name-calling :) It was all in good fun!

3 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

Don't mess with the coffee cup of your superiors...ever! Let this be a lesson!

afairlie said...

Oh, it was a lesson alright! I bought my own cup from Target last night. I will be using this cup, and only this cup, from now on.

Saskia said...

haha

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!