Wednesday, October 5, 2011

It's (almost) That Time...



Oh yes, people. In just a few short months, we will officially reach my most favorite time of year.

Christmas!

For as long as I can remember, I have absolutely loved the holidays! When I was a kiddo, it was all about church Christmas plays, presents under the tree, and waiting for Santa to come. Even now, I still feel that same magic about the season that I did when I was a little girl in a red and green gingham dress opening my Christmas bag from church on the car ride home, entirely too excited to even think about sleeping that night and thinking every bump in the night was a reindeer on the roof.

OK... I am waxing a little too nostalgic now... 

Anyway, each year I start preparing months in advance. I start flipping through magazines, surfing the net, strolling up and down the aisles of Target and Michaels, all searching for inspiration on what the trendiest fashion in decorating is that year. This year is no different. In fact, the only difference is that I've started a wee bit earlier than usual. 

Oops. 

Sue me, Thanksgiving fanatics.

Oh yes. Thanksgiving is lovely with its warm food, spiced fall drinks, and calorie-laden pies, but I tend to think of it this way: If Thanksgiving is pre-cursor to the holiday season, then it is sort of like the appetizer that leads you into the main course. Sure, everyone stuffs themselves full on Turkey Day, but the year isn't over yet. 

So, what is it all leading up to? 

Do I even have to tell you? 

The big, fat, chocolate covered, caramel coated, side of whipped cream, topped with toasted pecans and a pretty cherry on top dessert to end the holiday season known as... Christmas.

Now don't get me wrong I love Thanksgiving as much as the next person, and I gladly indulge in ALL of its offerings, but Christmas is really my season.

Getting a little off topic here, and a little too heavily involved with visions of sugar plums dancing in my head, this year I am most exited to get  to decorate the new place! I have a never before used tree (bought for $20 last season at Lowe's... don't worry, it originally had an extra "0" at the end of that price... winning!) and lots of ideas for a very DIY Christmas.

I picked up a copy of Better Homes and Gardens: Christmas Ideas magazine last weekend and eagerly began to thumb through it, dog-earing almost every page. There were so many ideas, and so many different avenues of inspiration that I am going to have a hard time choosing just one route to take. We may be in for an eclectic holiday, after all.

I could go vintage... woodsy and rustic... classic... cool and wintery... sparkly and glittery...
or I daresay, all of the above?




The last page I flipped to read this caption:


This is a bold-faced challenge to uber cheap frugal people like myself. Come on... I can totally throw a holiday party for under $150!

Anyone want to dare me? ;)

One thing is for sure. As the holiday season approaches, I will cut no corner with the decorating, baking, DIY crafting, and obsessive amount of Christmas music and movies that will be on replay throughout the house, probably beginning next week sometime. I mean really... what could be better?

1 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

Poor Spencer. He doesn't even know what is about to happen.

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!