Saturday, October 29, 2011

The Truth About Green Smoothies

I recently purchased a blender. 

I wanted to make milkshakes smoothies.

Last week, we made a late night run to the grocery store. I picked up some fresh bananas and strawberries, some frozen peaches and bluberries, Greek yogurt, and a bag of spinach. 

PS- That last sentence looks like a game from Highlights magazine, "which of these don't belong?"

This morning, I decided to whip up a smoothie for breakfast using these colorful ingredients:

Strawberry, Banana, Blueberry, Peach Smoothie

However, once finished, it looked a little something like this:


Eeewww... it matches the table.

What happened to my gorgeous display of fruits and dairy to make it this murky, green, Riverbottom looking concoction?

The culprit.

You guessed it. Spinach. 

Why on earth would I ruin a perfectly delicious smoothie by putting something as misfit as spinach into my morning drink? 
I was curious.

"Green Smoothies" have been all the rage for quite sometime. I was sincerely curious about them because of the claim that they help lead to clearer skin, they're naturally good for you, and you can't taste the greens whatsoever. So, what's the truth about green smoothies? 

Considering this is the first time to ever have a.) made one, and b.) consume one, I can only speak for the fact that you can NOT in fact taste the spinach. At all. Whatsoever. 

The next time you feel like having an afternoon treat or an early morning breakfast smoothie, toss in some greens. Take my word for it, your smoothie will be just as delicious. And like you know, I NEVER joke about food. 

----------

Riverbottom Smoothie

4 strawberries, cored and diced
1 whole banana, peeled and chopped
Small handful of blueberries
Small handful of peach slices, chopped
1/2 c. strained Greek yogurt
Splash of milk
1 c. fresh spinach
2-3 Ice cubes (optional--especially if you are not using any frozen fruit)

Blend the first 6 ingredients until desired consistency. Add spinach and blend until smooth. Sip and enjoy :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!