Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Eleven Madison Park Granola (Modified)

One all-time favorite breakfast.
I mean... right?
I am a huge fan of granola. 
I could put it on anything, the way some people can do with Tabasco sauce. 
(Disclaimer: I haven't tried it on pizza, that would just be gross.)

But for the most part, anything with granola is better. 

Spencer's mom shares the same love affair with granola as I do. She has given me a few recipes, and I have enjoyed them all, but this one I will share with you today really takes the cake. 
(YES, I've put granola on cake... don't judge!)

The beautiful thing about granola is that you can use literally whatever you have on hand. It's so versatile!

This is the (apparently) famous Eleven Madison Park Granola that folks have raved about. Of course, I modified it, because I modify everything. I'm annoying that way.

Here is what you need. 

  • 2-3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes (you can go unsweetened... but why?)
  • 1 cup mixed nuts, any variety
  • 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1 tablespoon salt (go easy on the salt - I find that if I used salted nuts, I don't even need it.)
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup dried blueberries


  • (I know it looks like this is a ton of ingredients... it is. Don't let that dishearten you, you will have more than enough to make this recipe at least another 1-2 times.)





  • Preheat the oven to 300°F. 









  • In a large mixing bowl, toss together the oats, coconut, mixed nuts, sunflower seeds, and salt. 









  • In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the brown sugar, maple syrup, and olive oil until the sugar is just dissolved. 










  • Fold into the oat mixture, coating all of the dry ingredients as evenly as possible. Spread out onto a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. 









  • Bake until dry and lightly golden, about 40 minutes, stirring the granola after 20 minutes to allow for even baking and drying. Remove from the oven and let cool. 










  • Once your granola has cooled, toss in your dried fruits and mix well.








  • Yields: One boat load.





  • This recipe makes a ton of granola. The good news is, once you've munched on it for a few days, you can simply pour it into a gallon size freezer bag and scoop out portions as you want them. Granola freezes exceptionally well. 





  • That's it! Nice and easy. 





  • And soooo good.





  • ----------





  • Some of my favorite ways to enjoy this recipe:





  • 1.) Sprinkled on top of plain, Greek yogurt and finished with a drizzle of honey (as in the first picture).

    2.) On top of a diced, juicy pear. Try this one. You will not be sorry. 

    3.) In a small bowl with a splash of milk. 

    4.) On top of a milkshake protein shake. (I said no judging!)

    5.) Bottled in Mason jars with the handwritten recipe tied around with twine as a lovely gift for any occasion. 

    6.) Sprinkled on top of apple rings topped with peanut butter. 

    7.) Half the dried fruit and replace with M&Ms or chocolate chips and add a cup of mini pretzels for a delicious trail mix. 

    8.) Add a handful to a fresh salad topped with apples (or pears) and feta (or blue cheese) and serve with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. 

    9.) Use it to add some crunch to a cinnamon baked apple. 

    10.) Coat a banana with chocolate (or peanut butter) and roll in granola. Freeze and eat. 

    and of course... 
    11.) All by its lonesome :) 



  • Enjoy! Please let me know if you try it. Seriously, it's awesome. 










  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!