Monday, February 20, 2012

An Ode to the Slow Cooker

I know... it's too soon for another food-related post. 
I'm slipping back into my old ways. 
But I just can't help it. 
Spencer's Favorite: Beans and Bacon. 
Two years ago for Christmas, I received a slow cooker from my aunt. It was truly one of the best things I received that year. 
It's the small things.

Anyway, I made a few tasty recipes but didn't get a whole lot of use from it. Until now. 

Lately. Spencer and I have deemed Sundays as "Crock Pot Sundays". 
(Insert political correctness here: I don't actually have a Crock Pot. The brand of slow cooker I have is actually a Euro-Pro, but whatever. It's like calling a tissue a Kleenex, or like we do in Texas, a Dr. Pepper a "coke"). 

I am 5-1 with this thing. Had it not been for an unfortunate instance involving steaks and mustard, I'd be 6-0. 
I got a little ahead of myself.

Anyway, I must share with you all some of our recent favorites. These recipes are SO GOOD that I promise you will love them as much as we do. Without further ado...

1.) 3-Packet Roast (Hands down... this is our favorite).
2.) Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (Simply delicious.)
3.) Pork and Beans (Nothing special about this one... just soak the beans overnight and rinse them then next morning. Add them to your slow cooker along with enough water to cover them and then some. Cook on LOW for 8-10 hours. Serve with bacon and jalepeno cornbread - yum!)
4.) Turkey Carnitas (This one was given to me by a friend. It's got flavors of lime, onions, and peppers. I'm happy to share the recipe--just let me know!)
5.) Salsa Chicken (This is stupid delicious, by the way. Serve with warm corn tortillas or on top of a bed of rice.)

My love affair with my slow cooker continues. Anyone have any good recipes? I am always open to suggestion :)

2 comments:

Saskia said...

Hey, for some reason i think i remember you being a vegetarian. maybe it was a dream? :)

afairlie said...

LOL... to be fair, I only eat meat a couple times a week :) I did miss those cheeseburgers! :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!