Wednesday, July 11, 2012

All in the Numbers

I am a pretty big fan of the movie, The Number 23.
And, when I say big fan, you should know I mean terrified.

It's no secret to my friends and family that I am mildly anal retentive obsessive compulsive.
(If you know me really well, you know that should read "majorly" and not "mildly").

It makes perfect sense to me that the television volume should only be set in increments of five, that you should always dress from the bottom up (and if you mess up, you must completely re-dress in order to comply with the natural order), and above all else you must ALWAYS grab (at least) the second item on the shelf at the super market for the fear that someone else could have wondered around the store with it.

What if it was a perishable item that they removed from the frozen foods section (ie double chocolate fudge ice cream) and aimlessly wondered around the store with it, before using their better judgement and returning it? Wouldn't that have compromised maximum temperature said food item could reach before beginning to spoil? Furthermore, what if said purchaser had just used the restroom, we won't even say public restroom for fear of spinning into a whole other topic, but then did not wash their hands (properly or at all), and had his or her hands all over that delicious treat you would like to enjoy?

That's enough to spoil my appetite. And make me burn at least the top 3 layers of skin off as I drown myself in anti-bacterial.
Please do yourself a favor and reach for at least the second item in the grocery store.

But that's not the point.

The point is, in the movie Jim Carrey's character is haunted by the number twenty-three. Everything in his life adds up to that number somehow. I am terrified of the movie considering, as I really began to notice, almost everything in my life began to add up to the number twenty-three as well. I had to truly stop thinking about it in order to keep myself from completely going off the deep end. Lord knows I'm close sometimes... if the above grocery store analogy was no inclination into the bizarre inner workings of my mind.

Anywho :)

The whole point of my post was not to convince you all, that I am likely completely off my rocker but instead to share with you my own little countdown / numbers at work from our first glorious year in San Diego. So, without further ado :)

5
...The number of minutes (by car) we live from the beach. It's really quite jolting to think about the fact that you are that close and personal with the Pacific--especially when you've grown up around cows and tumbleweeds :) On our way to a farewell dinner the other night, we were driving along the coast just in time for sunset. This is a topic that we have debated on numerous occasions, but we always conclude with the same answer. The question is where have we witnessed the most gorgeous display of sunsets, and the answer is always west Texas. Spencer grew up in the panhandle of Texas, and I grew up in a small town in the eastern central region of the state where we have some of the clearest, starriest skies you could ever imagine. The Texas panhandle though is dusty and flat, but gives you the most perfect canvas for picturesque sunsets that stretch as far as your eye can see. Depending on the time of year, you can see every color of the rainbow in any given evening. It is amazing to behold. However, as we were driving up the coast at sunset and looked across the still water to see the last of the setting sun peeking over the horizon and watching all of the people who had parked their cars, stopped their evening jogs, chose to dine outside--all watching the same sight, we had to agree that San Diego has it's own warm, beautiful sunsets whose beauty can't be denied. We are so blessed.

4
...The number of trips we have taken/will take this summer. We have been literally across the map and back this summer. In May, I took a trip home to south Texas to see my family, in June we hopped across the map to New York to attend a wedding, and in August we will be traveling together back to Amarillo to visit Spencer's family and on to New Mexico to spend some much needed down time at his family's cabin. To say we are excited to relax, have some cocktails in the crisp mountain air, do a little leisurely shopping, and eating our weight's worth of yummy food would be the understatement of the century.

3
...The number of times we've moved in the last year. Hard to believe anyone can do that in a year, but we have! We began our journey from Texas landing in Carlsbad, California. We stayed there for nearly three months before moving to an apartment in another area of San Diego, a little further south. We moved again a couple of months ago to our beautiful new condo just outside of Del Mar and are hoping to stay put here for a while.

2
...The number of San Diego Padres games we attended this year. Spencer is not a baseball fan by any stretch of the imagination. I on the other hand grew up around the sport in its entirety and feel totally at ease having a game on in the background. I love the excitement of being at the stadium, cold beer in one hand, mini helmet of ice cream with extra hot fudge salted peanuts in the other, balancing my score card on my knees and yelling out obnoxious fan lingo like "good eye!" with every (good) swing. However, I think Spencer is starting to enjoy himself so I hope to see more games in our future :)

1
...The number of years we've spent as California residents. As I've mentioned time and time again, we feel incredibly fortunate to be living our own version of the SoCal dream. Excited and anxious to see what our future holds!

view of the coast line from one of our favorite hikes.



1 comments:

Saskia said...

beautiful view! so jealous!!!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!