Saturday, September 15, 2012

the big 2-7



I can't believe I'm 27.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of my new age is 'The 27 Club'.
You know the one... the infamous "club" whose membership includes famous musicians who died at the ripe age of 27.

I'm weirdly morbid.

My next thing that came to mind on the morning of my birthday was...
cake! 

This thought was not only happier, but was not as fleeting as the first. I thought long and hard about it.

I started my day with a trip to Starbucks for the first pumpkin spice latte of the season. It was well worth the wait, and I welcomed it back with open lips. I had to work for a few hours, but the trip to Sprinkles Cupcakes afterward took the sting away for a bit.

Before continuing, I should just take the opportunity to say that typically on my birthday I am responsible for my own calorie-laden treats. My boyfriend, although wonderful a man he is, does not see the magic and wonder of sweets in the same way that I do. It's such a shame. For the last several months, he has been the healthy disciplinary in our house. Don't even try to hide that half-eaten Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar underneath the cinnamon and nutmeg in the spice drawer...

He will find it. 

I knew there was no way I was going to get anything out him when he suggested that I "treat myself to a cake pop"when I stop at Starbucks.

A cake pop...? Psssshhhh...
"A" would insinuate ONE and it's my birthday for crying out loud!

The best I was going to get out of him was an apple and a jar of peanut butter. I had to take matters into my own hands.

I pulled up to the sweet, sweet sight of world-famous Sprinkles Cupcakes. After driving around for a solid 10 minutes looking for a parking spot, I retreated to the next shopping center over. From there, I hoofed it in 5" heels, across lot after lot, stood in line for at least 15 minutes, and trekked back to my car, careful to not let the detectible dark chocolate cupcake tip over. Can't be loosing precious icing to the side of the bag!

I do realize that most people would have called it quits at the first obstacle in this little adventure, but I'm no quitter.
I'm determined like that.

I arrived home and enjoyed my delicious belgium dark chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate frosting (toothache, much?) while opening a variety of birthday gifts and cards. I received so many wonderful messages throughout the day and felt very special and incredibly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life!

When Spencer got home, he presented me with a sweet card and the IOU I already knew about... our wine country weekend! We tried to plan our getaway for this weekend, but everywhere was already booked so we're holding out for next month.

We topped off the evening with some shopping and a delicious dinner at one of our favorite Mexican food restaurants. All in all.. a wonderful birthday!

I am looking forward to new journeys and life adventures in the next year. Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!