Monday, December 3, 2012

Holidaaaay! Celebraaaate!

This past weekend I encountered one of life’s “firsts”.
I hosted a party.                                      


doesn't everyone look this cool posing for
self-portraits in holiday aprons?                    
I know, I know… this is not rocket science or anything, but in all my 27 years I have never once played the role of hostess. Sure we’ve had friends over for drinks or dinner, but that required minimal effort on my part.
This was a real party. With real invitations.
(OK, so it was by evite… but still).
The purpose of this little get together was for a few of my knitting friends and I to get together and enjoy wine and hors d'oeuvres, coffee and camaraderie, while chatting and putting our needles to work. We had a great time.
The set-up for this party was incredibly simple: a drink station, a food station, and a conversation station. That was pretty much it. Given that I live in a two-bedroom condominium, there was little room for much else, but it completely served the purpose.

holiday greetings!
the kitchen set-up
view from the living room 
every good party must have wine.
coffee and lime-infused water, for post-wine.
the coffee cups doubled as party favors. 
simple table set up.
Regretfully, I don’t have many photos of the evening’s activities (which consisted of a lively gift exchange), but I do have a few photos of the set-up and our wonderful food table. Each time we get together, we all bring a dish to share. There are no rules (i.e. you bring a vegetable, you bring a dessert) to allow each person to bring whatever they want. This works famously because you really get the best of the best. Some of the yumminess gracing our table included: pumpkin cheesecake bars, cold cherry soup, braised short ribs, assorted cheeses, warm brie with an apricot glaze, veggies with hummus, peppermint bark, homemade brownies and divinity. It was marvelous.  


no room for a centerpiece--we know how to party!
knitting the night away.
All in all, I'd say the party was pretty successful. It seemed like everyone was having a good time, and there's not much else I could hope for!

All of the holiday parties for the season have been rolled into these two weekends. Next weekend we will have three(!), then after that it's all about the wind down and ease into Christmas. Ahhh... looking forward to a good book, some knitting, lots of coffee, and time in front of the fireplace. I can't wait.


P.S.-While my party budget didn't allow for the Anthropologie signature monogram mugs I was so desperately hoping for, I found this amazing DIY tutorial by Design Mom instead. I was completely giddy with the way these turned out. So easy and so fun! I'm thinking of whipping up a few more for hostess gifts in the coming weeks. If you're looking for a sweet, personalized way of saying "happy holidays!", I'd highly recommend this one. Total cost was about $1.05 per mug. (Win! Can't beat that).
These would be fabulous with a couple of chocolate covered spoons and a small bag of coffee, or with a cute tin of hot cocoa. Endless possibilities :) 

4 comments:

TJanuszewski said...

You look great. Your home looks great. Your food looks great. Your decorations look great. Your blog looks great. And your crafting looks great. Are you for hire?? Haha seriously - well done! I love it! :)

afairlie said...

Why thank you! I'm blushing :) What sweet things to say!

Saskia said...

love this!!! your party sounds like it was so much fun!! still wish i had gotten you to teach me to knit before you left tx :) your set up was so cute!

afairlie said...

Thanks, Sas! I'll still be happy to teach you anytime :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!