Thursday, December 27, 2012

Resolution Solution

I'm not a huge fan of new year's resolutions... are you?

I find them to be generally pretty harsh. It seems that most often they are conceived of grand, open-ended ideas like "I want to lose weight", and almost always ends in failure.

Why? Because Valentine's Day is a mere two months away there is no end number in sight. As someone who has not only drank the Weight Watchers Kool-Aid, but also bottled and sold it to my friends and family, there is one thing that WW has taught me: SET GOALS. You can't conceivably set a resolution for yourself that is impossible to achieve if there are no attainable specifics. This pertains to every single aspect of your life, not just weight loss. Setting a goal of "I want to lose 10 pounds this year" puts an expiration date on your goal, and therefore a time requirement.

But really... if you dispute that it was simply because Valentine's Day was a mere two months away, I could not stand to argue. 
Dark chocolate heart-shaped Peeps, say what?

I have a handful of GOALS this year, myself. This is a list of things that I would like to do and/or improve upon before 2014. If I put them out there and publish this list for all the world to see, then surely that must hold some accountability? Here's hoping!
..........
TAKE THE NCIDQ
The NCIDQ (National Council for Interior Design Qualification) is the governing credential for becoming a licensed Interior Designer. This is a big one. This very exam is why I chose the school I did, the career path I'm in, and the overall course of my future. No pressure, though.

READ MORE {for pleasure}
This could be a two-birds-one-stone gig simply taking the above goal into consideration, but I'd really like to make a dent in my bookshelf. After all, I still haven't finished the '50 Shades' trilogy... what?

FIND ORGANIZATION FOR THE PANTRY... and stick to it
This seems like such a simple request, but alas the bread always seems to creep up next to the beans and I can't keep the blasted salsa away from the mandarin oranges and the cereal has a mind of its own. It's like the Pantry of Babel. I have recently been inspired by the clear container / chalkboard label craze and I'd really like to go ahead and book my ticket to that party.

DRESS MORE PROFESSIONALLY 
While I do a relatively good job of maintaining a professional wardrobe at work, I completely fail at pulling outfits together. I have hanger after hanger of scarves, more dangly earrings than I know what to do with, a handful of skinny belts, and enough heels to open a small boutique, yet I never seem to put in the last little bit of effort to accessorize. It can make such a difference.

BLOG MORE {than I did in 2012}
The last few months of 2012 have given me a resurgence of excitement for blogging. I hope to bring that excitement into 2013 with a few regular topics and posts. Stay tuned!

..........

There you have it. I sincerely hope to stick with these goals all year. Some are relatively easy, others will be decidedly more difficult but all are things I really WANT to accomplish. Here we go.

What are your goals or resolutions for the next year? Are you aiming big? Do tell!

Have a safe & fabulous New Year's Eve, friends!

post signature

4 comments:

Saskia said...

Wait. You have the 50 Shades of Grey books and you haven't finished them!?!? I just started reading them a week ago and I'm on book two! Can't.Put.It.Down. I have to admit that book 2 doesn't have me sucked in like book 1 did :) Your goals seem attainable and this year is going to be awesome!!! :) Happy New Year!

afairlie said...

Haha! I know! That's how I was with the first book...then I lost interest for a while. I picked it back up on the plane ride home and I am hooked again. Almost finished with the second now--it gets better! I hope I am able to stick with them. Did you make any this year? Have a GREAT New Years Day!!

Lori Zaragoza said...

I love my ever talented and equally beautiful cousin!! We share the same views on the whole resolutions thing and pretty much Have set the same goals Up for myself. I wish you great luck on the big licensing exam, in your career, with handsome beau and in 2013! I love ya baby girl!! Muah!!

afairlie said...

Awwwe thank you love! Hope you guys have a WONDERFUL 2013!! Can't wait to see what delicious things you're going to mix up with your new toy ;) love you! Xoxo.

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!