Tuesday, January 8, 2013

52-Week Money Challenge & Paying it Forward in 2013

via
This year is well underway, with or without me!
It's hard to believe we are already in the second week of January, much less the year 2013.
Talk about how time flies...

The first few days of the new year have been pretty promising. I've already tackled 95% of one of my New Years Resolutions Goals (more on that later), and it's not even Valentine's Day! How'd ya like them apples?!

Today, I wanted to share with you a couple of fantastic good karma exercises that benefits both you and someone else. I'll be participating in both of these activities this year and am ecstatic to see the effects of both! The first...

---

Has anyone heard of the 52-Week Money Challenge?
I hadn't either... 

Boyfriend brought this one to my attention, and I must say I am thrilled that he did. You can get the full play-by-play here (including a fantastic chart for keeping up with your deposits & account balance), but the gist is this: for every week of the year (52) you save that dollar amount per week. For instance, after the first week you should deposit $1 into your checking or savings account (or piggybank or shoebox or under the mattress), $2 for the second week, $3 for the third week...and so on.
By January 1, 2014 you will have collected $1,378.00, if followed correctly. Holy smokes!
That's some major savings, and for only a little money per week (or month, if you chose to make one monthly deposit). It might get tougher there at the end of the year, but the savings that will have accumulated should make for a nice little holiday bonus for yourself. What a fun idea!

---

The second exercise of 2013 is Paying it Forward.

If you have Facebook, you might have seen a similar status to this floating around:

I'm participating in the 2013 creative pay it forward: the first five people to COMMENT on this status will receive from me, something in the next calendar year, a gift-perhaps something I've made, baked, purchased, or just thought you would enjoy! There will likely be no warning and it will happen whenever the mood strikes me. The catch? Those five people must make the same offer in their fb status! Love this idea--enjoy Facebook friends! :)

[That was my status, by the way--if you couldn't tell from the exclamation points (!!) and smileys :)]

The concept of this one is simple: allow the first (5) five people to comment on this status (however well you may know them, what your relationship status is, etc.) and those folks will receive a small gift from you at some point during the next 12 months. What you choose to send can be totally up to you, as is when you send it. The best part about a surprise is that it is a SURPRISE--what fun to open your mailbox one day to a container of homemade chocolate chip cookies, or a lovely hand crafted item, or some uplifting letters of encouragement when you're going through a rough time. This just makes my heart smile and I am already secretly pinning a whole mess of ideas :)

This could not have worked any better if I'd planned it. The first five people to comment on my status could not be from any more bizarrely faceted areas of my life and I LOVE IT. I have friends that I have known for years, some I have just met, some I haven't spoken to in ages, and some live across the map. All have completely different interests and personalities and I love that I will get to surprise these folks throughout the year.

Facebook or no Facebook, I love this concept and am thrilled to get baking, crafting, shopping--who knows!--for my five peeps. I've decided on the general dates for which my packages should be delivered, and the calendar is set with reminders... of course.

---

There are several ideas for betterment buzzing around the blogosphere this year. Another one that caught my eye was journaling. The subjects you choose are completely and totally up to you. I toyed with the idea of starting a 'what I've learned this year' journal to document all of the things I've learned  this year (from changing my own oil to how to give myself a better manicure--one of which I've done, but I'll let you guess which). There are so many good ideas out there!

What other neat ideas have you seen to get this new year off to a fantastic start? 
I'd love to hear 'em! 

post signature

6 comments:

pookahknits said...

I really want to try out this money challenge, thanks for the idea. And fantastic idea about the Things I've Learned Journal, I really dig that idea. I'm trying my best to do the January Cure from Apartment Therapy. We have such a tiny space that I'm not sure if I can do everything, put I'm trying! Here it is: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/the-january-cure-182076

afairlie said...

Thanks so much for sharing--I LOVE this idea!!! Awesome! 2013 will be the year of organization for us both :)

Lori Zaragoza said...

I read about this on Pinterest I believe. This is a fantastic idea! For myself I personally see December being a tough month to put away $. Unless more homemade gifts I must make. Lol oh the fun I could have. Keep the inquiring minds posted...

afairlie said...

I agree! Ain't nothing wrong with that ;)

TDavenport said...

I love the 52 week money challenge! In fact, Wesley & I decided that we, too, will do the money challenge. I think it will be fun! And like you said, what a nice reward at the end of the year to purchase Christmas gifts, or spend on each other :)

afairlie said...

Isn't that the greatest idea?! And the real winner here is YOU! Gotta love it! :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!