Sunday, January 27, 2013

Etsy Inventory & a Twist of Lime

I took major advantage of some downtime this weekend and got the knitting needles busy. With temps in the 50's all weekend long, rain, and a DVR full of trash TV... it was the perfect excuse for a sofa-parked weekend.

I opened an Etsy shop in the Spring of 2010 to sell hand knits and knitting accessories, and had the good fortune to list a few items which sold in a matter of a few weeks. I was in the midst of thesis-writing at the time, working 40 hours / week, and trying very, very hard to not have an emotional breakdown, so I never had the opportunity to re-stock the inventory and try again. After graduation, I moved to Austin, began working long-hours, and before I knew it had landed in California to start the process over again. Needless to say, my shop sat sad and empty for a long, long time.

However, this past weekend I had a surge of energy and actually accomplished knitting a few little pieces to put in the shop.

cozies for babies and adults!
My intent was to list them in the shop this afternoon soon after photographing them, but I like to draft something cute and clever to go along with each item and my creativity was waning. I feared I would end up saying something ridiculous, so I skipped that part for now to re-visit again later.

$8 [+$2 shipping] pink and grey coffee cozy for the tea drinker or latte lover!
$8 [+$2 shipping] pale pink & seafoam green striped coffee cozy for the caffeine-enthusiast.
$20 [+$5 shipping] bubblegum pink baby booties.

I have also nearly finished a bulky weight, geometric baby blanket today (thanks to the Celebrity Ghost Stories marathon!) that will also be listed with these new shop items. I am anxious to get these creations into the shop and see how they do!

All that being said, I didn't just sit on my toosh and knit all weekend (much as I would have liked)--but also got out on the patio and did some planting! Spencer and I set out in the rain on Saturday morning to purchase a lime tree. Why a lime tree? Well...one of us wants to make desserts and one of us wants to make cocktails with the fruit it will bear... and we each want to reap the benefits of both! Hopefully the hornworms stay at bay and my thumbs stay green enough to keep it alive... only time will tell!

what a cute little guy!
We wrapped up Saturday with a fantastic dinner with friends, and a slow ease into a lazy Sunday. My favorite kind :)

Here's to a fast work week!

post signature

6 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

Super cute knitted items!! And I can't wait to try either the dessert or the cocktail or both made from the fruit of your newest patio addition.

afairlie said...

That makes two of us! ;)

pookahknits said...

Yes, go you!!

TDavenport said...

You're so talented! I love all of it! I have been thinking of opening an Etsy store,...maybe you can give me a few pointers! I love sewing. I'm happy to hear you're having good fortune with your sewing projects as well! My next trip to the fabric store will be to get material to make myself a skirt. Hopefully it turns out! Have a great weekend :)

afairlie said...

Thanks sweet friend!! :)

afairlie said...

Thank you!! You definitely should look into it! It takes a lot of time and work but if you have the time and enjoy it--it's fun!! You MUST post pics of your sewing accomplishments! You're far more advanced than me--I could use the inspiration! ;)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!