Thursday, January 31, 2013

{Recipe} Points of Pinterest: Paula Deen's Crock Pot Potato Soup

Since the return of normality after the holidays, the return of S.C.S. has followed.

Oh, you don't know about S.C.S? 
It stands for Slow Cooker Sundays. And boyfriend lives for them.

Sunday is the best day for Crock Pot meals. It's the day where everyone collectively decides they're going to do nothing... in anticipation and dread of the week to come. Therefore, the Crock Pot produces the perfect meal for said day. Toss in ingredients, shut the lid, and open it again when dinner is ready.

Magic. 

I turned to Pinterest (aka my modern recipe book) for a new recipe to try. It was a little chilly and rainy again this past weekend, so I knew a hearty soup should be in the works. I had seen this recipe floating around and knew my girl Paula Deen wouldn't steer us wrong. Don't worry, she didn't.

Seeing as how this is from the recipe books of the Queen of Southern Cuisine, I did my best to lighten it up as much as I could... until I spotted the sourdough bread bowls at Panera Bread. Game. Over. Also not being able to leave well enough alone, I modified the recipe to add a packet of ranch dressing to the soup base. We love ranch dressing (seriously, who doesn't!?) and always have a box of the packets on hand. I quickly tossed in the packet before I could think twice and it was the second best decision of the day (bread bowl took precedence). It added another wonderful flavor to an already delicious soup. De-lish!
my apologies for the horrible photo quality...
I only had my phone and obviously couldn't wait!
We gave this recipe four stars! It was simple, fast, and really wonderful. It was also unanimously agreed that it tasted even better second day... once all those flavors got together (oh, how you doin'?).

The weekend is coming up! Add this to your "to eat" list :)

..........
Paula Deen's Crock Pot Potato Soup {Lightened}
Original Recipe from TWIRL

1 (30 oz.) bag frozen southern style potatoes
2 (14 oz.) cans fat-free chicken broth
1 (10.75) can light cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 small packet ranch dressing mix
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 (8 oz.) package 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
optional adds: 
fat-free cheddar cheese
light sour cream
center cut bacon or turkey bacon
minced green onion
sourdough bread bowl (...sorry, I couldn't resist)

In a slow cooker, combine potatoes, chicken broth, cream of chicken, onion, ranch packet, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Stir in cream cheese, cover and cook an additional 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, until combined.
Ladle into bowls, garnish, and enjoy!

To prepare bread bowl: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the inside with olive oil and place on cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown on the inside.
..........

*this recipe filed on recipe page!

post signature

2 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

Sure wish I had read this post before I went to the grocery store. It will definitely be on next week's menu!!

afairlie said...

As it should be! ;) Let me know how you like it!!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!