Monday, February 18, 2013

a long weekend in review.

It's been a while since I've done a catch-up post, so here goes!

Both Spencer and I had the luxury of a 3-day weekend and so far, it's been glorious.

I worked pretty late on Friday, and didn't make it home until well into the late afternoon. Spencer also worked late, so we just had a low-key dinner at home.

Saturday morning, we woke up early and went to brunch downtown. Once we got back to the house, I headed over to the yarn store and fabric store for a little "me" shopping :) I hadn't done that in a long time, but considering I worked about 12+ hours of overtime this past week I felt as though it was necessary! I got some fabulous goodies, a little piece of chocolate for myself, and some down time. I felt refreshed and rewarded! If you missed my previous post, Saturday night got pretty wild. It did, however, involve a nice little date night at one of our favorite restaurants. We ate outside on the heated patio and the weather was just perfect--the perfect wind down and ease into the rest of the weekend!

On Sunday, I went to my usual Sunday morning gathering of knitters while Spencer went to have his car worked on. Womp womp. That lasted a few hours, so once I got home it was decided that I would hang a couple of framed pictures we've had sitting in the office collecting dust. After going around and around, dragging the pictures from room to room, holding them up, down, sideways, and every which way... Spencer gave me free reign to hang them wherever I wanted. So... they sat alongside the dresser in the office for another couple of weeks.

I'm pretty terrible at making decisions.

For whatever reason, and I can only reason it's the Type A personality coming out again... I decided that they must be hung yesterday, and fast! After reenacting the same scenes we had in the previous weeks (walking room to room, adjusting the imaginary heights, talking to myself), I finally decided the perfect spot was in the Living Room on the wall adjacent to the sliding glass patio doors.

I loathe hanging art side-by-side because the margin for error is at least one million. If the hangers are not exactly equal on either frame, the frames won't be level when hung and nothing (nothing!) drives me crazier than to see one print slightly up from the other. Talk about making my skin itch. Therefore, I always try to avoid this method whenever possible, but this is truly where the pictures would look the best so alas I had to suck it up and spend the next hour trying to get the two aligned.

they don't look like it in this picture, but they really are perfectly aligned.
take my word for it. 
london helped.
then got bored and pulled out her toys.
then got sleepy and took a nap.
she's not quite as tidy as her momma... we will have to work on that.

When Spencer got home, he commented how good they looked. I beamed.

Then, I immediately went code red on his ass because his first inclination, like every time, is to try and "adjust" them. All it took was me screaming like a banshee from across the room "DON'T YOU TOUCH THOSE!!!" and like some sort of crazed maniac in a polo shirt and pajama pants (I like to keep it real when I'm at home), I lept across nails and hammers and levels (oh, my!) to the other side of the room where his eager little fingers were about to move my perfectly poignant prints. He jumped back, no doubt terrified by my display, and concluded they looked good right where they were.

Smart boy.

That evening, we make the pilgrimage downtown for a wine tasting dinner party with a few couple friends of ours. We had a great time! We don't often get together with this crew, since we are literally spread from one end of San Diego county to the other, but we enjoyed the evening sipping wine and enjoying a fabulously prepared meal of steak, potatoes au gratin, broccoli rabe. Of course, the hosting couple had outdone themselves and prepared a wonderful cheese presentation complete with mediterranean olives, sweet red peppers, and fig jam to enjoy over toasted French baguettes before dinner was ever served. They expertly paired selected wines with each course, including a dry white with our appetizers, a Cabernet and a blend with the main course, and a bit of port wine with dessert, which was an affogato. (Never heard of affogato? Me neither. It's an Italian-style dessert consisting of a scoop of gelato with a shot of espresso poured over the top. Delicious).

my par-tay apparel.

the hosting couple's little weiner dog was both
fascinated and mildly afraid of all my sequins.

so was spencer.

ps-what are all of those white dots around my face?
ghosts? i don't know. 
Today has just been an easy-going craft day for me. I dusted off my sewing machine and completed a couple of top-secret baby projects for a couple of my expecting reader friends. Will most certainly show you all the finished product, post-gifting. Now I think I'll pour another cup of coffee, settle in, and watch a little Netflix-ed Downton Abbey.
Seriously, who else watches this? SOOOO GOOD. 

Hope you all had a great weekend... long or short! 

post signature

2 comments:

Saskia said...

omg you look great! have you lost weight? not that you didn't look awesome already, but you seriously look great adrienne!

afairlie said...

Oh gosh, not even a little! I wish! Must be the pose ;) but thank you--I'll most def take it!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!