Monday, April 29, 2013

a girls weekend: part one

Hi, friends!

As I'm writing this, I've just returned home from dropping my mom off at the airport. I'm always sad to see her leave, but even more so after the insanely fun weekend we've had! Here are some highlights from the first couple of days :)

thursday
After a flight that seemed it would never be (three hours late!), I finally picked mom up around 11:00 PM from the airport. I had a couple of goodies waiting for her, and of course, she hops off the plane with a hand-crafted gift for me, too. I am so proud to say I get my creative side from her!

a couple of goodies I crafted up for mom's trip: a hand-painted ceramic mug and IKEA hacked slippers.

of course, my mother would get off the plane with a handcrafted gift for me, too.
see where I get it? ;)
coconut-lemon sugar scrub
friday
Friday morning, I'd booked a culinary & history walking tour at Coronado island for the two of us. I wasn't totally sure if it was going to be lame or decent, so we were pleasantly surprised when we actually had a lot of fun! After downing a full pot of coffee at the house, we headed out. The purpose of the tour was to stroll through Coronado to some of the untapped, local scenes while sampling cuisine and getting a mini history tour along the way. The tour did not go to the Hotel del Coronado, since it was assumed that most folks coming to the island [which is actually a peninsula...who knew!?] would be making the trek for that very purpose. Instead, we saw some of the unusual spots. We munched on carnitas street tacos at Costa Azul, grilled foccacia and Cesar salad at Cafe 1134, had an olive oil tasting and sweet dessert at Coronado Taste of Oils, and finally ended our tour at WineStyles with a red and white wine tasting. The olive oil tasting was by far one of the neatest culinary experiences I've had. We learned all about the health benefits of fresh olive oil and got to sample all of the wonderful flavored oils. I am a believer! Thankfully, I don't have to drive all the way to Coronado to purchase the freshest olive oils (we were told most of which is on the grocery store shelves is at least 5 years old!)... there happens to be a similar venue within walking distance of our house. Win! Can't wait to check it out.

my cute momma at the tent city murals at the start of the tour.
*tent city was the name given to the temporary housing area that occupied Coronado in the early 1900's. 
a way cool authentic 1950's motel sign.
the home of l. frank baum
otherwise known as the author of the wizard of oz
allegedy, his 'emerald city' was based on the design of the hotel del coronado.
just some architectural detailing from one of the original buildings in coronado... a bank.
obsessed with these tree blooms flanking the boat house!
the coronado boathouse
built in 1887, it was used as a small scale model whereby unskilled laborers [commissioned to build the hotel del coronado] could "practice" their skills in building construction on a much smaller scale, in order to use the same style and method of construction on the hotel. genius, really.
the coronado boathouse
[present day] now a steak & seafood restaurant
After the tour, we took a stroll around the town a little more, before stopping at the hotel for some refreshments and more sight-seeing. We concluded our time in Coronado with a walk on the beach. The weather was perfect for it! That evening, we had dinner at Fidel's Little Mexico in Solana Beach... one of mine and Spencer's favorite stops for Mexican food. Being in the area of Texas that she is, my mom could easily get Tex-Mex at any place in my hometown, but not like it is here.
For the record: I like Tex-Mex better :) 

saturday
To be quite honest, we didn't do just a whole lot on Saturday... and it was awesome. We started the day with coffee, Greek yogurt topped with homemade granola and honey, and of course... more coffee! We took London for a walk around the community center by our house, and spent the next several hours just relaxing and hanging out. For an afternoon treat, I took Mom to Sprinkles Cupcakes in La Jolla. [If you follow my Instagram, you saw that even London got her very first pupcake! She loooooved it (duh!) She is my kiddo, afterall].

cupcakes & diet coke... nothing better. 
After we devoured daintily enjoyed our treat, I finally convinced her to try and teach for (for at least the twentieth time) how to crochet. Already being a knitter, you'd think this would be a piece of cake, but alas... it's quite the opposite. I don't get how to make the hook work, how to hold the yarn, or what the hell a double crochet is (or how it's done). Fortunately, after a lot of patience on Mom's end, I think it stuck this time. More that stuck... I am afraid it took off. What started as a little exercise in crochet, turned into the remainder of entertainment for the evening, resulting in two dishcloths(?), potholders(?), Barbie doll blankets(?). (What these are supposed to be, I don't know. I suppose I could always use them as dishcloths). Once I got the hang of it, I couldn't stop.
I know... we live big over here.

my handiwork.

That evening, I prepared a very girly dinner for us beginning with a cheese plate, champagne, and the darkest chocolate I could find. We sampled our cheeses (Spanish: iberico, cabra al vino, manchego, Italian: truffle, and French: wild blubbery vanilla chèvre), prosciutto, crackers, and dark chocolate while sipping champagne out on the patio.


Up next, I used our findings from the trip to Coronado Taste of Oils (six mini bottles of the store's most popular olive oils and balsamics) to re-create our little tasting session... this time with a crusty sourdough loaf. I then used some of the herb-flavored olive oil as a base to pizza dough, and re-created this pizza. It was every bit as yummy as I'd remembered.

coronado taste of oils goodies
I cannot wait to use that cookbook!
my tacky awesome wine shoe accessory from WineStyles!

As we made our pizza, we chatted, drank more champagne, and watched a Netflix movie. It was a very lazy day, but definitely one of my favorites from the whole visit.

In the next post: Sunday & Monday's adventures!

3 comments:

pookahknits said...

Yay you did it!! You can crochet! I still am terrible at it...I need your ma!

afairlie said...

You are NOT terrible at it! If I recall, you were last working on a baby blanket?! Hefty ambitions there, my friend :)

pookahknits said...

Ahh! That is somewhere completely forgotten in the depths of my unfinished works. Actually, I think that will be the theme of my blog next month...so much unfinished!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!