Tuesday, April 30, 2013

a girls weekend: part two

Hola!

I'm just recounting the events of the awesome visit I had with my mom this past week. In case you missed the first installment, you can read about the beginning of our weekend here.

sunday
Sunday morning, I wanted to take my mom to breakfast at one of our favorite spots: The Mission. The only catch here is that in order to not wait at least 45 minutes to an hour, you must arrive before 8:30 AM. I don't know why it's such a magic time... it just is. We got there just after 8:15 AM, and by the time the waitress had brought out our Mexican Hot Chocolates [believe it], the line was already out the door. We each enjoyed two of the house specialties: cinnamon bread French toast and chilaquiles.
What exactly are 'chilaquiles'? In a word: heaven. By definition: a traditional Mexican breakfast dish consisting of lightly fried corn tortillas (tortilla chips) topped with mole sauce and simmered down until the chips are just soft. The corn chip base is then topped with scrambled eggs and whatever other house toppings (in this case: black beans, cheese, roasted tomato ginger sauce & chipotle cream).

Though I didn't boldly reach across the table to snap a picture of the chilaquiles (though I wouldn't put it past me in any other circumstance), I did manage to get a picture of my French toast. This is another restaurant favorite! The side of berry puree is a must.

cinnamon bread french toast with berry puree. 
After our very filling breakfast, we decided to walk off some of the early morning carbohydrates with a stroll around Balboa Park. We were blessed with a gorgeous day! I showed Mom around some of the gardens and we decided since we still had several hours before we were to get Spencer from the airport, we might as well go check out a museum or two. We ended up at The San Diego Museum of Art, where we were treated to a one-weekend only annual event: Art Alive 2013. The premise of this exhibition is to have local area floral designers compete by designing floral arrangements that interpret famous works of art. I probably shouldn't admit this, but we had no freaking clue what was going on. It wasn't until several rooms later that we discovered the intent of this expo. From there, we could totally appreciate all of the hard work put into the various displays and not just "oooh, look at the pretty flowers!".  By the end of our exploration, it was clear that this was a major event and that people were lining up to come and see all of the beautiful arrangements. Luckily for us, we got there as they were opening so we were able to comfortably see every room. My little art history-loving heart was in heaven with works of art from Tintoretto, Monet, Degas, Renoir, Giotto, Fra Angelico, Veronese, Van Dyck, Peter Paul Rubens, El Greco and so many more... oh my!

love the solitary lilly pad flower floating in the water feature.  
fountain detail.
spreckles organ pavilion in balboa park.
bee in camouflage. 
love going to balboa just to see all of the beautiful blooms!
rotunda design in the san diego museum of art for 'art alive 2013'.
rotunda design in the san diego museum of art for 'art alive 2013'.
a stunning display of all purple flowers inside of the museum.
helllloooooo, cheesy tourist picture!
another stunning floral arrangement.
After our self-guided tour of the art museum, we deemed ourselves in a state of caffeine emergency. Despite the fact that our Mexican Hot Chocolates from breakfast were insanely delicious, there wasn't nearly the amount of caffeine necessary to keep us functioning for any extended period of time. So... we went in search of Diet Coke. We happened to find one at a nearby fresh-baked cookie bakery, which was... let's all agree... nothing short of a coincidence ;)

happy hour bubbly!
After our sugary-sustenance, we retrieved Spencer from the airport and headed back to the condo for a little happy hour of our own. Mom and I finished off the bottle of champs from the night before, while Spencer enjoyed a craft brew. We sat and chatted for a long while before walking to dinner at another favorite Italian-style tapas restaurant where we enjoyed a focaccia stuffed with soft cow cheese and honeycomb, another prosciutto and arugula pizza (no complaints here!), a simple pasta of pecorino cheese and fresh cracked black pepper, and a risotto carbonara that was to die for.
I will take this opportunity to interject and say that I'm fully aware that we've inhaled more than our fair share of fatty foods this weekend. That's what happens when you put three carb-lovers in the same room. Shit gets real. 

We had a great time at dinner--it was the perfect ending to a perfect long weekend with mi madre!

monday
Sadly, our Monday was pretty short as Mom had a 1:00 PM flight back to Texas. She and I got to sleep in for a bit, then I made breakfast for us. We sat around reminiscing about the weekend and making plans for the next time we get together--hopefully later this summer in my home state!

I so enjoyed getting to spend a little uninterrupted time with my mom. I always love her company, as we can always pick right back up where we left off... even if it's been a year since we've last seen each other! Thanks for a fun weekend, Mom! See you again soon!

we even coordinate with our animal prints... adorable. 


4 comments:

Saskia said...

Sounds like you and your momma had an amazing time!

You guys are too cute! :) You sure do know how to pamper your guests! I need to visit!

PS-Where did you get your sandals?

afairlie said...

We did!

Yes come visit me! I'll roll out the red carpet :)

Thanks! I got them at Target like two years ago. I didn't wear them for about a year until I discovered them once more. "Too many shoes" problems ;)

pookahknits said...

Adorable! Also, I read this post earlier but had to turn away because of the overwhelming deliciousness of that dessert!

afairlie said...

It's a JOKE, right?! Gahhhhhh. I am still dreaming about it...

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!