Tuesday, April 9, 2013

{Recipe} fig + prosciutto pizza with arugula and balsamic

There is a pizza epidemic in our house as of late.

I say epidemic because... Spencer can't get enough of it. He has proclaimed he won't rest until he makes the perfect pie.

I'm excited, but also very sad... because I also like pizza. And that's a big problem for me.

And my pants.

Thanks to some friends of ours, we are [both] now completely obsessed with putting arugula on everything. It's especially delicious on pizza, so for the second pizza in 24 hours (yep... he's a little out of control) I decided to take my own spin and see how the results fared.

In my own mind, I thought I was some kind of genius [to put it mildly] to concoct this recipe for fig and prosciutto pizza all by my lonesome. It just came to me as we were strolling through the aisles at Whole Foods (our new favorite place... location is everything!) and I spotted a jar of fig preserve. I quickly gathered the necessary ingredients and while waiting in the checkout line, decided to do a quick Google search to pat my own ego with "see? You ARE the first person to come up with this idea, you Einstein, you!". What did I find instead? Page after blasted page of delicious recipes for (basically) the very same pizza. The most popular of which being The Pioneer Woman.

Well. Of course. She even topped it with arugula... because, why not?

Normally, I adore Ree Drummond and would beer batter a boot and try it if she told me to, but I was mildly annoyed that my idea was none-too-original. Then, I flipped the jar of fig preserve to the back and the first line read "great with prosciutto!" and I had to laugh.

Apparently, this is only news to me.

Well, news to me or not, I still decided to share this popular creation with you [my way, of course] because, really, it's too yummy not to!

The fig preserve adds a sweetness that coupled with the richness of the ricotta, saltiness of the prosciutto, tanginess of the balsamic, and peppery arugula is downright heavenly. Give this one a whirl, you won't be sorry!


fig + prosciutto pizza with arugula and balsamic


  • 1 Pre-made, store-bought pizza crust
    • [no, I definitely don't make my own, but if you do by all means use it!]
  • 2-3 Tbsp. fig spread
  • Hefty handful of good, shredded mozzarella cheese
    • It was all we had on hand. I've also sliced the fresh mozzarella into medallion-size slices and it's just fabulous as well.
  • 1/8 C. Ricotta cheese
  • 4 Slices prosciutto
  • A couple of handfuls of baby arugula
  • Balsamic vinegar [enough to drizzle the top]

Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.

Spread the fig jam directly on to the crust and top with mozzarella and dollops of ricotta. Don't spread in the ricotta (unless you like it that way?) because once it's baked, you'll get a decadent bite of yumminess every so often that will be the best kind of surprise!

Bake pizza directly on the oven rack for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.

Remove pizza from oven and immediately top with prosciutto. I followed the advice of others who made this endeavor before me and did not bake the prosciutto with the rest of the pizza. Rather than allowing the prosciutto to bake and release all of it's saltiness resulting in a crunchy meat, putting it on after the pizza is finished cooking (but still very hot) allows it to get warmed through, but maintains it's softness.

Top with a couple of handfuls of arugula and drizzle with the balsamic vinegar (not too much!). Pour yourself a glass of red wine and bon appetit! Enjoy :)

*I will refer you once more to The Pioneer Woman's Fig-Prosciutto Pizza for all of the gorgeous step-by-step photos. She does a beautiful job of illustrating her recipes! I could never in a million years do what she does, so I won't even attempt it!

with love from my unoriginal kitchen,
post signature

2 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

Thanks for putting the notion of "pizza" in my head for the rest of the day. Sigh.

afairlie said...

sorry about that :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!