Wednesday, May 15, 2013

{Recipe} roasted tomato salad

I don't know about you guys, but I love tomatoes.

It only took about 25 years, but I finally came around to them. And now I can't get enough! 

I learned how to properly roast them in the oven during the Sur la Table cooking class I took. I absolutely love the way these taste when cooked! Roasting the tomatoes intensifies the flavor, and makes them taste sweeter and more savory at the same time. Magic!

I mean, just look at these bad boys!



The best part about this recipe is that it's quick! It cooks in 5-8 minutes and is meant to be served immediately. It's the perfect companion to a summer BBQ, since you can just as easily throw them on the grill. Enjoy!

..........

Roasted Tomato Salad

  • Small container (10 oz.) grape tomatoes
  • 1 Tsp. lemon rind
  • 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • Dash of Italian seasoning
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Fresh ground black pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, and place into oven while pre-heating (this is the most important part--you want your baking sheet to be nice and hot once the tomatoes are placed on top). 

Slice the tomatoes from top to bottom (not crosswise). 
*Slicing them from top to bottom ensures that one side will not cook faster or slower than the other. The "top" of the tomato is where the stem would have been. 

Place halved tomatoes face down onto hot baking sheet. Return to oven and cook for 5-8 minutes. 

While tomatoes are cooking, combine rind, juice, and oil in a small dish. 

Remove from oven, and gently toss with juice mixture. Top with Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. 

Serve immediately.  

..........

I think this salad would be fantastic tossed with mozzarella pearls and a few sprigs of fresh basil. Spoon onto crostini and drizzle with a little fresh balsamic on top and enjoy!

Bon appetit! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!