Thursday, June 27, 2013

[happy hour] boyfriend's old fashioned

Eep! I have a special treat today :)

After a lot of pleading, boyfriend has agreed to let me do a little photo tutorial of his old fashioned recipe... and let me tell you, this isn't one you'll want to miss! :)

He always treats me to these on Sunday evenings in honor of our weekly Mad Men date. Aren't we romantic? Cocktails and DVR ;) Win!

Anyway, he has perfected the old fashioned and I can't wait for you to try it! Grab a couple of glasses and let's get muddling :)

the cast of characters.

you will need:
[2] cocktails glasses
[2-4] sugar cubes (depending on your taste)
dash of aromatic bitters
[2] cherries
[2] orange wedges, plus more for garnish
[2-3] parts bourbon *depending on how frisky you feel ;)
ice
muddler (we got ours at world market)
start by tossing down an orange wedge.

grab a sugar cube, and soak completely with bitters.
we like 2 sugar cubes per drink, but it's all about personal preference!

*most recipes for an old fashioned call for 'a dash of bitters'... this is boyfriend's approach and it works like a charm!
add a cherry to each glass. 
then muddle like your life depends on it! ;)

this releases the juices from the fruit, exfoliates and marries the flavors together. 
pour 2-3 parts bourbon per glass, add ice, and stir.
garnish with an orange wedge and you're set!

pull up a chair and sip your fabulous fifties style cocktail!

I hope you guys enjoy this one! It is sooooo good!

Cheers! It's almost Friday!

4 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

I can have one?

afairlie said...

You can have it. I'm sure he'll make one for you in August :)

Rema said...

I'd actually never enjoyed one until I tried Spencer's. Is it one of those things, though, that just tastes beter when someone else makes one for you? I'm hesitant to try, lest it flops miserably!

afairlie said...

Rema: I am right there with you! Hence why I do not make them... ;) But, they're easier than they look and quite delicious!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!