Friday, June 21, 2013

{Recipe} summer berry protein salad


Guys, I LOVE me some salads.

I spent the better part of my life haaaating them because I didn't like lettuce. To that point that when I would eat somewhere that serves salads before the entrees [think Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.] I would always order the 'kid equivalent' first course. This was typically a bowl of applesauce.

Seriously. I was the 16-year old at the table eating applesauce.

Thankfully since then I've snapped out of it, put on my big girl pants, and decided to venture out into the produce aisle. Woohoo! They also make a regular appearance in my lunch box.

I find that when I bring my lunch from home, I tend to eat much healthier than when left to my own devices. In fact, that's a rule for me. If I packed it, it's gotta be healthy.

I know... I'm such a fun sponge.

But it must be! Or I would weight 1.2 tons (an approximate measurement). Why?

Because I like chocolate... and beer... and white carbs!
Oh my!

This past week, I was on a mission to find an inexpensive, quick and easy, (and healthy!) lunch fix that could be tossed together in a matter of minutes, requiring little to no effort, and keep me full for the rest of the day. A mighty task, but I think I found a pretty good solution.


Cue the summer berry protein salad. 


This one is a lunchtime winner! The pre-cooked chicken or tofu gives the fuel needed to power through the rest of the day, and the berries add a super yummy sweetness to a good, crunchy salad. And the BEST part about it is... it's EASY! I put the ingredients in individual sandwich baggies and combine when I'm ready to eat. This keeps my salad nice and fresh when I'm ready for it, instead of getting soggy in the fridge :) It's so yummy--I know you guys will love it!


..........


Summer Berry Protein Salad
  • Handful of your favorite berries
    • I like raspberries and blueberries!
  • 1/4 cup fat-free feta
  • Pre-cooked chicken slices (in the refrigerated meat section)
    • Or tofu, for those of you non-meat eaters :)
  • 2 Tbsp. Ken's brand raspberry pomegranate salad dressing
  • 1/8 cup sliced almonds (optional)
  • 2 cups baby spinach
Arrange berries, feta, chicken and almonds on top of spinach. Top with dressing.

 Dig in. 

Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

I'm so glad that you've been able to work through your salad-phobia. Love your fruit combinations!

Saskia said...

Both of those salads look very tasty! I want to try the blueberry one with some tuna!

afairlie said...

Me too, Mom :)

Sas: That's a great idea! I'm thinking salmon would be good with the berries, too!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!