Tuesday, September 3, 2013

a new mexico vacation.

I know I've kept it pretty quiet on the blog as of late, but that's just because we've been enjoying the mountains of New Mexico in sweet serenity. We've just returned home from a long holiday weekend away at boyfriend's family's cabin in New Mexico. The mountain air, lack of cell service, and general solitude of the sleepy little mountain town was exactly what the doctor ordered! 

I cannot even describe what this trip did for my soul. Just days before, I broke down in the deli of our office building. I was having an incredibly stressful week, nothing was going right, and my to-do-before-vacation list was a mile long. I was feeling overwhelmed and completely incapable of catching a break. The kind deli owner, obviously noticing my red eyes and tear-stained cheeks, complimented me on my necklace and gave me a reassuring smile. I completely lost it, right there by the Sun Chips and Red Bull. It was time to get away. 

We spent Friday through Monday up in the mountains of New Mexico, letting the stress of the previous weeks collide. We ate, drank, hiked, explored, shopped, watched bad television, and woke without an alarm every day we were there. Glorious!

One of our excursions was a hike through the pine-laden trails of our little community. [Did I mention that I'm moderately allergic to pine, and in my best efforts to avoid having a Benadryl coma for the duration of the trip, I thought ahead to have my Flonase prescription refilled? Only... the pharmacy mixed it up with the topical prescription I have for mild eczema (because that's the same?) and I didn't realize it until we were in the airport. Le sigh.] Anyway, it turned out to be totally fine and the hike was gorgeous! 

Every step of the way was postcard-worthy (as evident in this photo-heavy post). The below pictures were a few of many we snapped along the way. The rain held out until we got back to the cabin, where we enjoyed pre-dinner snacks and cocktails. Literally, I couldn't have asked for a better day :) Enjoy!















5 comments:

TDavenport said...

How fun! Sorry to hear you were having a bad week but glad you were able to escape! Vacations are so fun :-)

afairlie said...

Thanks, Lady! It hasn't been the easiest summer but a few more vacations like that, and it'll be all forgotten :)

Cece said...

Vacation is so good for the soul! Especially the ones that allow you the time to just BE. Beautiful pics.

afairlie said...

Cece: AGREED! It usually is the opposite -- the "vacation" aspect is ruined by trying to squeeze in too much in too little time. This was the perfect getaway. Thank you!

pookahknits said...

Beautiful! Glad you got a much needed relaxing vacation!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!