Sunday, September 29, 2013

september in review.

My lack of posting lately is shameful. It's so hard to believe September is coming to a close and October is lurking around the corner. It seems like just yesterday I was getting amped up about the smell of coconut and suntan lotion and here I am sipping on Pumpkin Spice Lattes and watching football. Where has the time gone?

So...what's been going on?

The weekend after my birthday, I had the most fun baking and decorating four dozen sugar cookies for a baby shower. One of Spencer's co-workers is having a little girl and I happily volunteered to make  the cookies for her shower. Despite the fact that I practiced for weeks, I still managed to wait until the day before to try my hand at some new designs. Typical, right? :) Luckily, I was pretty pleased with how they turned out... but most of all, so was the Momma-to-Be! I'm anxious to use the new pumpkin, black cat, and ghost cookie cutters I scored [on sale!] for Halloween.

a few of my favorites :) 
a pair of my signature booties for the baby girl!
of course... I saved one for myself. duh :)
In between birthday celebrations, baby knitting, and weekend baking sessions, I've been happily munching away on my favorite seasonal treats and decorating our little casa for fall. Since fall doesn't really make it's way to Southern California in the typical sense, I've been trying my hardest to bring fall to us. I've had at least a half dozen Pumpkin Spice Lattes, several handfuls of marshmallow pumpkins and pumpkin spiced M&Ms (don't knock 'em till you try 'em!), treated myself to a mani/pedi on the first day of fall, and even dusted off the old Crock Pot for some hearty, cool weather dinners (never mind the fact it's never dropped below 70 degrees outside!). Much to boyfriend's dismay, the inside of our house is decorated head-to-toe in pumpkins and gourds. Though he's not exactly wild about all of the decorating, I can't help but smile when I see the cheery bowl of mini pumpkins on our coffee table, the ceramic gourds strategically placed on the side tables, or the hand knit candy corns strewn about the living room (hooray for stash busting!). 

little basket of fall happiness that sits on our coffee table! 
the polish on my toesies might look black, but rest assured it's an autumnal shade. ;)
can't get enough of these babies!
these leaves they are a-changing. 
This weekend, I even managed to make a wreath that I'd pinned on Pinterest at least two years ago. It was well worth the wait. I like it so much, I'm toying with the idea of leaving it up year round! That might be a battle I don't win... ;) 

felt flowers are the most fun things to make. ever. 
Life on the job front is busier than ever. Luckily, I see a glimmering bit of light at the end of the tunnel. It comes in the form of a TEXAS VACATION! Hallelujah! I leave on Wednesday to visit my home state for a little R&R... though I know neither rest nor relaxation is on the already full itinerary ;) I am just thankful for the break. 

Hope you all are enjoying the last few days of September! 

2 comments:

Cece said...

I admire your determination to bring fall to So Cal even though it stubbornly refuses to show up. Getting the toes done turned out to be a great idea..still warm!!! We ended up not making it to Cinepolis this weekend after all because they didn't have Insidious. I think we are going to go and see Rush even if it's not super high on our to see list just b/c my husband is itching to go. Glad prisoners was good.

afairlie said...

Haha thanks Cece! Awe bummer... But I'd have been disappointed had we been in the same theater and I missed you! Anxious to see Insidious myself :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!