Tuesday, December 31, 2013

how it happened.


Remember that time I told you that I got engaged...then bailed?

Sorry about that. :)

I mentioned in my last post that our engagement was in a very 'plan-less plan B' style. There's a lot of truth (and maybe confusion?) in that statement, and some of you are not letting me forget that I have yet to dish the details! ;) So without further ado, here's the un-abridged version of the big day!


[12.07.2013]
Saturday, December 7th started like any other day. We'd both planned on getting haircuts downtown, as we have the same stylist who'd just opened her own salon. We figured we'd book back-to-back appointments, then seeing as how the new location was near one of our favorite brunch spots and relatively close to Coronado Island, we'd just have a bite to eat then venture across the bridge to do a little sightseeing. Sounds like a nice little morning, right? This part couldn't have gone more wrong.

Firstly, we couldn't find a spot to park because there was a holiday parade processing up and down all streets surrounding the building. The Santas on Harley's coupled with the construction zone still in front of the salon made for a stressful parking situation. My stylist, also late due to the holiday-spectacular-meets-the-Vegas-strip-processional, did my hair first. By the time she'd finished, it was all I could do to keep from crying right there in her chair. I didn't just hate my hair, I haaaaaaaated my hair. Poor girl; it wasn't her fault... she'd done exactly what I said I wanted...except that she'd clearly not seen the hot pink sequined bow on the front of my sweater, or somehow missed the navy blue ruffled coat I was wearing because she'd clearly mistaken my preppy, girly style for that of a modern hipster. NOT that there is anything wrong with that look, it's just so far from what I was going for that particular day. My hair was slicked down straight on one side (she must have missed the 'Texas girls tease their hair within an inch of their lives' memo), and had more spikes than Kate Gosselin circa 2008 on the other side. Just. So. Not. Me.

Once Spencer finished up, I held my tears until we got to the car where he assured me that "today is going to be so good, you won't even think twice about that haircut by the time it's all over". I sniffled back an "OK" and we headed straight for Coronado. The parade was still going on, so clearly brunch was out of the picture.

We got to the island around noon and noticed it was just starting to sprinkle. Not to worry, we'd head inside the Hotel del Coronado to see the Christmas decorations and do a little window shopping. Everyone else must've had the same idea, because we found ourselves shoulder-to-shoulder with every single tourist visiting the city that day. We pushed past the crowds to the outside where we noticed the rain had subsided a bit, and since we were starving by this point, decided to stop in a little tavern to have lunch. We split a burger and fries, and as we were finished up, I heard Spencer mutter an "oh no", as he looked out the window to see sheets upon sheets of a torrential downpour.  Whelp, there goes our plans to stroll along the beach, I thought, but Spencer was insistent that we wait a bit to see if the rain would die down. Knowing he hates the scratchy ocean sand and smelly fish water, I thought it a bit odd that he would want to wait around, but I'm never one to object to an opportunity to put my toes in the sand so I gladly obliged. After waiting what felt like an eternity, we thought we'd chance it and see if maybe the rain had lightened up nearer to the shore. As soon as we stepped outside, we were met with horizontal falling rain. We bolted to the car, but by the time we got there, were both soaked from head to toe. Knowing it wasn't going to get any better, we headed for home.

Spencer was very quiet the whole drive back. The only time he spoke was to ask if I had any interest in heading out to see La Jolla Cove or Del Mar beach. I told him I'd much rather get home and put on some dry clothes, wash the rain out of my hair, and relax. He agreed, but still looked completely bummed.

Once we got home and dried off, we just hung out around the house. The plan was to meet a couple of our friends for dinner later that evening at one of our favorite restaurants, so around 4 o'clock, I got up to get ready to go. All of a sudden, Spencer became extremely concerned that I make sure and be ready to leave the house a good 45 minutes earlier than necessary. I didn't see what the rush was, knowing we already had a reservation, but I did my best to be ready on time.

I finished up and headed toward where he was in the living room where he stopped me to tell me that I looked really pretty, but that he had "something to help sparkle up my outfit a bit". He then pulled a tiny box from the Christmas tree, got down on one knee right there in our little bitty, two-bedroom condo, said all of the most perfect words, and asked me to marry him. As soon as I realized what was happening, my hand instinctively flew to my mouth and the tears started flowing. I'd always wondered exactly how I would react to this moment, but I wasn't prepared for this. It was the happiest moment I can ever remember feeling!

After I took a moment to touch up my makeup (though I shouldn't have bothered--it was only going to get worse as I repeated the story throughout the night!) we got in the car and called our families--both of which already knew it was coming! I then learned that our 'dinner plans' were actually a little rouse for an engagement celebration, which is why he had to ask me the question before we got there. Our sweet, excited friends met us at the restaurant where we feasted on delicious food, popped champagne, and thoroughly enjoyed our newly engaged status. :) One of the best parts of the evening was walking to dinner through (yet another) happy, little Christmas parade. The second time around, the twinkling little floats were far from annoying and felt like the perfect little topper to the evening!

I call it the 'plan-less plan B engagement' because as you might have gathered... there was no plan B! It so rarely rains on this side of the coast, that the notion of a ruined, beachside engagement foiled by a torrential downpour seemed completely silly. Fortunately, as Spencer and I would both agree, the way that it actually happened was perfect. It was just us, in our little house, sharing a happy moment we'll never forget!

5 comments:

Saskia said...

I love this story and it's perfect! I can't wait to read about wedding details! I hope you are both doing great!

Janice with Word of Mouth Designs said...

I could hear this story a thousand times and never tire of it! It was exactly perfect ... and fitting for the two of you! Let the wedding planning begin!!! XOXO

afairlie said...

Thanks, Sas! Can't wait to share with you!!

Mom: WOOHOO! You know it! :)

Cece said...

So sweet!!! And it's awesome that you got to share the celebration with your friends right after. Congratulations!!! Let the wedding planning begin. : )

afairlie said...

Thank you so much, Cece!

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!