Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 resolutions


via
I start every year reflecting on the year that has just past, and looking forward to a fresh, new one. The new year brings with it opportunity in the form of New Years Resolutions, and a chance to become a better version of yourself. However and in whatever way YOU choose. I love that.

Last year, I had some lofty ambitions. Life happened, and I fell short of some of these, but those that I had already begun I stuck with. Now it's a way of life. I have a new found love for fashion, due to making an effort to dress more professionally. My pantry has never looked better, I've made a marginal effort in blogging more this year (woo!), and I've started a couple of books... just for fun! I never do that, but I so enjoy it! 

This year, I'm focusing on a couple of really important things. 

GO HANDS FREE!
I recently read this article, which really hit home for me. Though it's focused around childhood, I believe the same goes for any relationship. Both Spencer and I... though admittedly, it's mostly me!...are completely plugged in, all the time. I keep my personal, business, and personal business email up and running at all times. My friends and I are text message champions. I check Instagram every time I look at my phone. When I get bored of Instagram, I'm on Facebook or Pinterest. When I have seen all there is to see on there, I am playing a game on my phone. And once I tire of all of those things, I'm starting all over again. It's embarrassing to admit, but this is a typical day for me. I'm constantly plugged in. I don't want my fiancee to get used to seeing the top of my head more than my face. 

This year, I vow to unplug at nights. I only have a few hours at home with Spencer each night to relax, unwind, and catch up with each other. Most nights, that just means a quick dinner and some television time, but I hate not being fully present. I vow to change that. 

INVEST IN CLEAR SKIN!
That sounds so silly... but I need to take better care of my skin. I have a daily routine, but it's not enough to produce the results I'm after. The last thing I want to focus on in wedding pictures is "dangit, why didn't I take better care of my skin when I had the chance!?". That includes eating more greens (green smoothies are a proven brightener for my face!), better quality skin care products, waxing/threading, and establishing and maintaining a routine. It'll take me farther than just my wedding date if I make a habit out of it. Hopefully, it'll mean that I develop a healthy daily routine that I can stick to!

I only made two resolutions ("goals") for this year, as the wedding planning is taking over the remainder of my sanity :) These are two things that I am looking forward to overcoming far past the year 2014, so I am going to make it a conscious effort to see my resolutions into next year. 

What about you? Did you make any resolutions this year? 

2 comments:

Cece said...

I have been very conscious about unplugging at home when we are together and feel so good about it. Even if you aren't doing anything it's nice to just exist in the same space without internet or computer. Great goals!! Two and they are all doable with some effort. : )

afairlie said...

That's awesome! It's so worth it! :)

Post a Comment

Hi! I'd love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, and I promise to reply :) Thanks for reading!